Re: [CQ-Contest] Thing that drive me nuts

To: n1ix@n1ix.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Thing that drive me nuts
From: Matt Murphy <matt@nq6n.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 12:47:18 -0600
I do this sometimes in an attempt to generate more RBN spots, since RBN
considers TEST equivalent to a CQ. It adds enough information to the end of
a CQ to allow me to be spotted even if the skimmer didn't copy the CQ I
sent at the beginning.

However it occasionally leads to someone calling during that final TEST and
me missing part of their call.  During a run I hit ESC before it sends if I
think another caller is waiting.

I think it also speeds up recognition for someone tuning around doing S&P
who may not have heard my previous QSO or even the beginning of my CQ.
Even if that person only copied "6N TEST" it may be enough info to make
him/her feel comfortable calling and getting the rest of my call after the
QSO.

Similarly, while tuning around doing S&P the familiar sound of TEST tells
me someone is running on a nearby frequency, as does the distinctive rhythm
of "cq contest cq contest" on phone, even if I'm not tuned to the signal
and can hear only the rhythm.  Admittedly this is less of an issue as
signals get cleaner.

I'm not sure whether the extra QRM and confusion created by these
techniques helps overall, I'm curious what others chime in. I agree it is
annoying when a station running does anything that leads me to call at the
wrong time :)

73,
Matt NQ6N

73,