Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Revised Rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Revised Rules
From: Alan Dewey via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 09:59:50 -0500
It seems to me this question has been asked and answered.  The  majority
prefer NAQP to remain as it is with the focus on Single Operator  non-assisted
operation.  I get weary of the argument that those who resist  packet use
in a particular contest are dated or behind the times.  I,  like many, have a
state of the art station (with modest antennas) with  the latest logging
software and set up for SO2R.  Although I often use the  spotting network in
DX contests, I just do not see the thrill of having other  guys (or
technology) find mults for me in a domestic contest like  NAQP.

Yes - it is true that another category could be added for SOA.   However, I
also worry about category inflation in contests.  By adding  another
category, you have just doubled the number of awards and , perhaps,  watered
down
the prestige of competing for the top spots whether they be at  the national
or state level.

I do agree with the K8MR that, if there is one tweak that might make sense
for NAQP, it would be to remove the 10 minute rule in the M-2 class.
Because single ops wanting to use the spotting network are forced into the M-2
class, the 10 minute rule effectively eliminates the ability for these
single  ops to do SO2R which, in my opinion, is crucial to have success in this

event.

Finally, when there are spirited discussions like this on a particular
topic, I often go back and look at the contest results to see how active those
with the most vocal opinions are.  I always give more weight to those calls
 who I consistently see listed in the contest results.

73,

Al, K0AD

In a message dated 12/18/2016 2:45:56 A.M. Central Standard Time,