Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 15:56:03 -0700
I know that it was even discussed if ARRL and CQ should De-emphasize the overall winners and concentrate more on regional or divisional winners or even state winners. I don't recall where that conversation went or ended. That also takes us back to the level playing field which is really difficult. I know that in the Rocky Mountain Division that includes NM, CO, WY and Utah that those in southern NM can have a big advantage over the other states and anyone out in the flats can have an advantage over those with 14,000 rf stop signs around them.

I would agree that the inability to be competitive can be a turn off. It is hard to sell, just beat your last score or try to win your state and not have people category shop.

W0MU