Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 16:31:26 -0700
I think we missed the boat with NPOTA. I was pretty much inactive from 2012 -November of this year. I found NPOTA and have really enjoyed it. It is not contesting and I appreciate the people spending their hard earned money activating those sites. There are a few contester types that are activators and those sure run more smoothly. If you like to run rate there are place that are very desired. The contesting community or clubs could have showcased their ability to set up a good station with good antennas and good ops and show of what we do and who we are. Maybe some did? I have about a month of NPOTA experience but I have not seen where this community has done much with it. We (contesters) could have activated a vast number of these sites over a weekend day or days and made quite an impact.

My grandfather got me interested in radio and I was lucky enough to have a teacher like Carol who was a ham and who held radio classes at the Junior High School. About 6 of us got licensed. While we were a club, there was not much club activity other than the classes and we did not have a station at the school. The teacher also allowed us to come down to the science rooms during the free part of lunch and learn code, talk radio etc. Without that I doubt I would have got my license. I also had a number of neighbors close by that helped me with radios, what to buy, what to put up, what to do when and why. One of them got me into contesting when I showed up at his house and he was working the 10-10 qso party and then introduced me to others that liked contesting. I also had a friend that was a couple of years older that had his license and he invited us over to learn about his radio and he allowed us to make contacts and we sat and copied CW. One neighbor was into SSTV but that was rather boring other than the naughty pictures that were produced! This neighbor also piqued my interest in computers and basic programming. I guess I was pretty lucky to have so many hams in close proximity to where I lived. We all lived on 3 to 5 acre lots so we had the ability to put antennas in trees or on telephone poles, towers etc.

W0MU