Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 08:46:47 -0700
On 02/26/2017 05:21 AM, Ed Sawyer wrote:

I personally think Self Spotting is the end of contesting as we know it and
should NEVER be allowed.

1981: Substitute "Computers" for "Self Spotting"
1987: Substitute "Packet" for "Self Spotting"
2006: Substitute "CW Skimmer" for Self Spotting

At least with the RBN, a radio does have to pick you up to put it on the
net.

My "friend" sets up a receiver and CW Skimmer near my station. It absolutely will spot me and put the spots on the RBN. You can argue this is self spotting, but it is perfectly allowable under the rules. I bet it is already happening.

73,
Steve, N2IC