Re: [CQ-Contest] Allowing self-spotting

To: Jukka Klemola <jpklemola@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Allowing self-spotting
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 08:31:58 -0600
While I can see the merits of both sides of the argument, I think it’s
important to guard against extremism when looking at this idea.

True; VE3NEA is, apparently, trying to develop an SSB Skimmer, and true, CW
Skimmer is already a version of self-spotting for CW contests, although with
Skimmer, your signal has at least been heard over the air by the Skimmer. As
well, since CW Skimmer doesn’t discriminate between assisted and non-assisted
operations, even those stations not using assistance get immediate benefits by
being spotted.

It’s also true there’s merit in not allowing self-spotting for SSB.

But it’s being hyperbolic to suggest one little tweak to the rules — allowing
self-spotting on a limited basis for SSB ops — amounts to moving the whole
shebang to online. I don’t see anything proposed that would let anyone call CQ
or complete QSOs on the Internet. Indeed, it seems the majority of those
proposing self-spotting for SSB are proposing very limited use of self-spotting.

We already have Skimmer doing essentially the same thing as is proposed for
SSB, and I don’t hear people saying it’s moved CW contests all online.

Pros:
You don’t have to worry a friend’s well-intentioned spotting of you could lead
to a DQ just because he uses the same ISP.
Your spot is likely to be correct. (Be pretty damning if you screwed up your
own spot!)
Equalizes differences in rules between CW and SSB owing to the lack of an SSB
Skimmer.
Allows contest committees to focus on other, potentially more egregious, forms
of cheating

Cons:
To be competitive, you have to be connected, which is not always economical
depending on location,
Adds to an already cluttered array of spots,
Erases one of the last refuges for ‘boy (or girl) and his (or her) radio’ kinds
of operations.

Those are the points that should be debated.

73, kelly, ve4xt

ps: I think it would be an interesting exercise to hold a contest that forbids
any forms of viewing of spots. It might be illuminating then to have the RBN
filter out a variety of active stations and then insert manually spots of a few
of those filtered stations, and see whether the pileups continue to grow
organically or whether a spot produces a “packet pileup,” and then how many of
those stations in the packet pileup submit logs claiming to have followed the
rules.