Re: [CQ-Contest] Prohibiting Interleaved CQs on Two or More Frequencies

To: <donovanf@starpower.net>, "'CQ-Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Prohibiting Interleaved CQs on Two or More Frequencies in the Same Band
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 19:08:09 -0400
I strongly support Frank's proposal, but the prohibition should apply to Single
Ops, too, as it does in CQ WW.

I realize that multi-op stations are more likely to be equipped to do
alternating CQs on the same band (A and B radios with two ops on each band,
multiple antennas per band with good isolation), but it certainly can be done
in an SO2R station. If only one band is open enough to run, then the impact on
the spectrum is the same.

Is there a compelling reason to allow Single Ops to do alternating CQs on the
same band?

Actually, I think a case could be made for banning alternating CQs altogether.
I'd regret that because I've sometimes used it as a Single Op to boost rate or
fight boredom, but it definitely does use up more spectrum. If only two bands
are open in a big contest, that spectrum is likely to be very limited. What if
a rare mult running low power can't find a place to CQ because the alternating
CQers are taking up more than their share of space? What about the impact on
non-contesters?

73. Dick WC1M