Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB & CW On Same Band

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB & CW On Same Band
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 17:05:55 -0700
Hi Tom,

We've been doing it for years at the 500W level on our CQP county expeditions. I've even done it at home with 1.5kW.

The keys to doing it are 1) equipment with very clean transmitters; 2) equipment with extremely bulletproof receivers and very low phase noise; 3) very good station design, including careful location and orientation of antennas, excellent antenna switching and routing, really good coax, properly installed connectors, common mode chokes at the feedpoint of every antenna, etc.

At CQP, our 20/15/10 antennas are typically 200 ft apart and located so that a line between them is perpendicular to their aim point. Here in NorCal, we aim to 70 degrees for domestic contests. For 80 and 40, they're also co-linear and separated by 200-300 ft, and we use dipoles.

Each station is a K3 (with new synth board), KPA500, KAT500, P3/SVGA. All coax is a very good grade of RG8/213, all connectors are Amphenol, carefully soldered. All connections are tightened with a wrench.

At home, the Yagis are separated by about 200 ft, orientation as described for CQP. Feedline is mostly 7/8-in hardline to the main tower, mostly 1/2-in CATV hard line to the second tower with monobanders for 20 and 15. Ten Tec Titan 425 tube amps. I can run SO2R on the same band with orientation described. I can't if I point one antenna sort of at the other. :) I have, for example, been running to the east or SW on 10M CW while S&P to pick up several KL7s (NW) or even JA, but I must use the antennas for each direction that come close to nulling the other antenna. :)

73, Jim K9YC