Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB & CW On Same Band

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB & CW On Same Band
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 12:50:52 -0400
Some of the SO2R operators run 2 radios on one band and I believe MOST of
the mult-ops do.

I do here at N1UR.  I use cross polarization (transmit vertically on 160 and
listen horizontally - and transmit horizontally on the other bands and
listen vertically).  I also use tip to tip orientation and at least 300 ft
separation.  Using Low Power, I had pretty much the noise floor to within
20khz on all bands - 10khz on CW.

With high power, the noise floor is lifted by probably 20dB across the band
but otherwise everything is totally readable to about 20 - 25khz from the
signal.

I run the 2nd receive signal always through the aux receive port and through
a front end protector.

It takes good engineering and the space to place things in the right part
and with separation.  But its doable.

Hopefully such required engineering practice doesn't get killed by the
ability to operate remote receivers in the major contests.  I was not happy
when that option was given in the 160 CQ WW contests.  A bad decision in my
opinion.

73  N1UR