Re: [CQ-Contest] My need re contests to self spot

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] My need re contests to self spot
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 09:03:15 -0600
Christian what you have written already happens.

The clusters are nearly all internet based, so does it really matter if the self spotting is done via a cluster, a web page, Facebook, or any of the programs available today?

If you want to be competitive today you will make sure that you have a skimmer that reports to the RBN very close to your station so that you are constantly spotted. Being spotted is important.

Is it right or wrong? That is up to the various contest committees to determine.

W0MU

If this is the reality of seemingly too many ops being unable to find a station without someone putting a spot on the net, then we will have more and more cries to allow selfspotting (for the sake of activity, for being equal with CW where RBN spots each CQ etc....).

Done consequently and driven by convenience it will not be restricted to all forms of "cluster" but unevitably will then also use web based social media of all kinds. Thus we will have CQing on twitter and Facebook, too - and every big multi-op station will need at least one social media guy to optimize CQing there. You can do and gain an awful lot there: A FB post with an attracting picture of ops and "now on 21250 beaming XYZ" (in necessary languages for target region plus tagging, plus seeding posts on relevant sites there etc.) placed at the right time will of course give an advantage over a competitor not doing it.

Not judging, only describing what web addiction is about to bring. Convenience rules on and on and beats the fun of challenges. Wasn't RBN initially NOT planned to deliver spots into the cluster system? It was not realistic to expect that. It may not be realistic to expect that ever expanding contest rules will really define and restrict which kinds of web based spotting will be allowed. Sooner or later we then will discuss whether banning Facebook CQs is as "oldfashioned" as now banning selfspots.

73, Chris DL8MBS