Re: [CQ-Contest] Disqualified callsigns - CQ WW SSB contest.

To: Steve London <n2ic@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Disqualified callsigns - CQ WW SSB contest.
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 10:43:12 -0400
I would like to hear your thoughts on the following:

In the past, I have been operating below 14.150, knowing full well this is
not a U.S. phone allocation.  A U.S. stations calls me.  I tell him he is
out of the band.  He *insists* on a QSO.  I tell him again - "you are out
of the band".  He won't go away until I give him a report.  I do, and he
goes away.  I did not log the QSO, and a few weeks later I get a QSL card
"Thanks for the QSO".  I returned the card with a "Sorry - not in log"
comment.

I raised this issue at CTU with a number of contesters and was told "Work
'em, and move on", which is what I now do.  In looking at other folks logs,
I see they also do this as well.

A few years ago, a EU station was on 14.149 calling CQ, and I told him he
should move above 14.150 if he wanted to work U.S. stations.  He indicated
he knew he was below the (U.S.) part of the band, but above 14.150 was
full, and this was his best chance of making *any* QSO's.

What would *you* suggest?  Keeping in mind that I *can* operate below
14.150 in a phone contest.

Tom - VE3CX