Re: [CQ-Contest] Disqualified callsigns - CQ WW SSB contest.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Disqualified callsigns - CQ WW SSB contest.
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 09:37:01 -0600
Agreed. They violated FCC rules which I believe the rules state is a DQ? At the very least we all agree to abide by them.

Operating outside the band is about as big a violation you can get.

It is defined under unsportsmanlike conduct.

*A. Unsportsmanlike Conduct:*Examples of unsportsmanlike conduct include, but are not limited to:

1. Arranging or confirming any contacts during or after the contest by
   use of ANY non-amateur radio means such as telephones, Internet,
   instant messaging, chat rooms, VoIP, email, social media or web sites.
2. Transmissions by the entrant on frequencies outside of license
   limitations.
3. Changing times in the log to meet band change or off time rules.
4. Taking credit for excessive unverifiable QSOs or unverifiable
   multipliers.
5. Signals with excessive bandwidth (e.g., splatter, clicks) or
   harmonics on other bands.
6. Running stations not identifying in a timely manner (i.e., 1 minute).

The reason that such a small penalty was given was because of the extensiveness and stations that did it. How many of those logs were massaged to indicate that the qso took place inside the USA band when it did not or removed completely? Was this checked? How many nils did the guy that was outside the USA band get from USA entrants. How many very known USA stations did this? A friend of mine said he heard many big time Multi's working this station.

Not following the 10 minute rule is detailed under

*IX. GENERAL RULES FOR ALL ENTRANTS:*

1. Entrants must operate within the limits of their chosen category
   when performing any activity that could impact their submitted score.

Please direct me to the paragraph in the rules where I can learn how to break the 10 minute rule and then X-qso out those "illegal" contacts to be whole again.

Time and time again stations are given a pass, why? Is it any wonder people continue to push the rules. Self spotting is a bigger offense than operating outside your band?

Contesting appears to be a culture of looking the other way and as I learn more it has been happening for a very long time. We would like to think we are the best. If so then abide by the rules, especially our license rules.

A penalty of removing the qsos is less than a slap on the wrist. Sorry CQ. You had a chance to send a strong message. The one you just sent was indeed there is plenty of USA/NA bias.

W0MU