Re: [CQ-Contest] Limiting Spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Limiting Spotting
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 14:55:46 -0600
What would be the point of one spot a day per band?

The issue is that on CW and RTTY you get spotted constantly, automatically, most of the time assuming you are being heard by the many skimmers across the planet.

Self spotting on SSB would put everyone on the same playing field for spotting anyway. Spotting means more people to work, which in turn means more fun for all. Advertise all you want on Facebook, twitter, cluster, youtube, etc. Winning is still going to come down to skill, location and equipment. Imagine actually advertising our contests outside the normal media outlets. Gosh who knows we might actually attract more players. With self spotting you need not worry about spotting your friends, being spotted too much, too little, etc. Spot to your hearts content.

The clusters already have dupe prevention in place because of the RBN and Skimmers. That part of the technology is already in place.

Obviously if you never hook up to the web or clusters to get spots this really has no effect on you.

W0MU