Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote operation
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 22:31:09 +0100
On 07/06/2017 16:18, W4AAW@aol.com via CQ-Contest wrote:
Paul, EI5DI, says he  knows that most or all remote operations are running
"unattended.". Well, how can he know this?

Here we go again, with W4AAW being economical with the truth.
What I said was "it is common practice for such stations to
be unattended". I know this, and we all know it. Nowhere did
I say "most or all".

He surmises it because he suffers from a visceral hatred of any remote
operation.
Really?  All I've done is ask for remote contest entries
to compete only against one another.

My station is  certainly is NOT unattended during contests.  I am at the
station for the full duration of any contest we enter.

You may be present, but with remote control it's the remote
operator who has control. The clue is in the name :-)

I am the Control Operator at all times.

You're not :-)

Precious Paul, we are getting a little tired of your exaggerated and often,
inaccurate and baseless observations about remote contesting

Likewise, Precious Mike, I am getting a little tired of
your repeated, inaccurate and baseless claims that TeamW4AAW
is operating "strictly within the rules" (cq-contest) and
"We assiduously adhere to all FCC rules..." (remotecontesting.com)

You don't, period.  Some of your contest entries were unlicensed.
I can't see any reason for them not to be removed from the records.

We all get it: Paul hates remote operation.   We also get that remote
contesting is here to stay.  If is a burgeoning niche within contesting.

I know and accept that remote contesting is here to stay.
Wouldn't it be nice to know that it was usually legal, and
wouldn't it make sense to have remote contesters compete
only among themselves?

Mediocre contesters who try to peddle a third or fourth rate app, to the
uninformed are not to be taken seriously.  Does any top ten station use
contesting software from Ireland?

Surely W4AAW can't be referring to me?  :-) My contest
logger is the only one what has been continuously developed
and supported for over a quarter-century.  Here are the
release notes - the most recent update was yesterday,
June 6, 2017.

http://www.ei5di.com/sdhist.html

And as for "from Ireland", what exactly is the message W4AAW
is intending to convey?  Is that better or worse than, say,
"from Mexico"?

As for "mediocre contesters" - well, I suppose it's all relative.
  CQWW CW 2016 - SO40 LP - Top Ten.
  CQWW CW 2015 - SO80 LP - World #1
  CQWW CW 2014 - SO80 HP - World #3
  ARRL 10m 1991 - SOLP Mixed DX - World #1
  ARRL 10m 1992 - SOLP Mixed DX - World #2

And all with my own contest logger (from Ireland). There
are others, but I expect W4AAW will not be too concerned
with the details.

See CQ Magazine - Page 18, May 2017, and
QST, Page 65, October 1965.

As for "(trying) to peddle a third or fourth rate app", I
enjoy a steady and considerable income from that software
even though I have to compete with N1MM which is free.
Single-op unassisted contesters are happy to pay for my
software because they know there is nothing better.

And for what it's worth, check the operator stats for the
T32C, 3B7C and 3B9C DXpeditions.  The T32C operation has
held the World #1 DXpedition slot since 2011.

Thought not.
Wrong :-)

My final word to W4AAW is "Clean up your act". Then, maybe,
TeamW4AAW might earn some respect.

73,
Paul EI5DI