Re: [CQ-Contest] KU1CW location

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KU1CW location
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 03:22:33 +0000
I really shouldn't join in the armchair lawyering, but I can't resist tossing
this out into the sandbox:

Part 97.115(a)(2) (part):  No station shall transmit messages for a third party
to any station within the jurisdiction of any foreign government whose
administration has not made such an arrangement. This prohibition does not
apply to a message for any third party who is eligible to be a control operator
of the station.

For non-remote operations, this means that the third party prohibition doesn't
apply if the third party is a ham.  A tech could work anywhere on the phone
bands during a DX contest if an Extra is the official control operator.

For remote operations, I can read that clause two ways.  One the one hand, a
CEPT-eligible operator who is physically located outside the US would be
eligible to be a control operator of the station if he/she were physically in
the U.S.   On the other hand, he/she is not physically in the U.S.

Has the FCC ever opined on whether "eligible to be a control operator" means
"eligible and not remote"?

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org