Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Rule Change for Remote Ops - Always Multi-op?

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com, jpescatore@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Rule Change for Remote Ops - Always Multi-op?
From: Ria Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 13:29:54 +0000
My understanding is that it becomes multi op ONLY If someone assumes
control operator duties under the FCC definition, which is:

(13) *Control operator.* An amateur operator designated by the licensee of
a station to be responsible for the transmissions from that station to
assure compliance with the FCC Rules.

Someone simply present in the shack isn't legally a control operator.

However with regard to remote operations by foreign licensees, it is now
confirmed by ARRL fhat CEPT/IARP reciprocal agreements do not confer
authorization to operate remotely. The way to get around that was to use a
control operator who has a US license and use their call. Now that loophole
has been addressed. If someone wishes to be single op they need to be
authorized under FCC rules to be a control operator and they cannot have
another control operator cover for them. Doing so places the entry in the
multioperator category.

73
Ria, N2RJ