Re: [CQ-Contest] TH7 Replacement

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TH7 Replacement
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 10:59:07 -0700
If you don't need to tri-plex it to two radios, it's hard to beat a SteppIR. My neighbor K6XX has wrangled my straight 3-el at the top of my 120 ft tower without difficulty. Standard procedure is to assemble and test it on the ground, then remove the elements, pull both elements and boom up the tower, and reassemble. That straight 3-el is light enough for one strong guy to handle pretty easily, and it's gain is comparable to any high-efficiency 3-el Yagi (meaning full-size elements, without traps). If you doubt that, I suggest that you read N6BT's self-published "Array of Light" book, wherein he debunks some of the phony claims and "physics from another universe" used in advertising for some of these products. Some of these ads, for example, claimed greater gain than an ideal monoband Yagi with the same number of elements and boom length.

If you do need to tri-plex, I'd look at the new products from G0KSC.

73, Jim K9YC