Re: [CQ-Contest] KPA 1500

To: k9yc@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KPA 1500
From: Ria Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 14:15:16 -0400
Jim -

Saying you can do SO2R with external switching is the same as saying
the amp doesn't have SO2R built in.

As for the cost, SPE amps have it and the 1.3K-FA can be had for less
than the cost of the KPA1500. The PowerGenius XL has it for $1000
more. I owned an SPE amp and SO2R out of the box gave you a separate
receive antenna port which you connect to a common receive antenna.
WU2X/N2QV have this arrangement in their station and it works well. I
don't see even this on the KPA1500. The B26-PA, which is another very
good legal limit amp (kit) doesn't have it either but you can get one
for less than half the cost of the KPA1500 and you can buy two full
amps for about the price of one KPA1500. Both amps do 160-6 (and 4
meters in the B26-PA I believe) and both have 2x BLF188XR LDMOS.

The weight argument for a separate PSU these days is much less
relevant when a legal limit solid state amp weighs 30-35lbs. In fact
it can be a hindrance. But this is my preference to have one box,
which is why I liked the SPE Expert and which is why I am looking
forward to my PowerGenius XL.

JMO

73
Ria, N2RJ