Re: [CQ-Contest] KPA 1500

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KPA 1500
From: VE2TZT <ve2tzt@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 15:34:36 -0400
I have a 2K-FA and I can say it is not really SO2R as it.

You only have one antenna input for the 2sd radio just to say it is SO2R but actually you cannot share antennas between radios to make actual serious SO2R. As if it was not enough the signals on the auxiliary I/O plugs are too slow to insure a fast switching and are very sensitive to RFI. The result is that the only feature which makes it SO2R capable is its very fast band switching (7ms) and the fact that it has inputs for the signals of the two radios but you still have to built some external control logic and  a 2X6 or 2X8 antenna switch.

The second very important point is maintenance.

The schematics and maintenance manual of SPE are hidden to the public for some fear to be copied. The result is that you have no choice but send back the amplifier to the only authorized guy in NA. And I can say that when my amplifier took fire ( apparently some factory bad sourced decoupling capacitors) it never came back tuned as well than brand new from the NA maintenance service. Currently I have a new problem (the amplifier when in operate mode but not transmitting makes some RF noise on 20m to 6m) and the NA maintenance did not even took time to answer my e-mail. Not mentioning that every go and forth from Canad to USA for a 73lbs amplifier (with internal power supply) with insurance is a minimum of 800 USD.

For sure Elecraft will not only give me everything to maintain my amplifier from my home but they as usual for my current 3xK3's and P3's will give some fast and accurate answers and if there is some stuff to replace, it will be only the needed board of a few lbs not the whole  73 lbs amplifier to send through the continent ...

Will I mention the perenniality of spare pieces in the time ?

Gilles VA2EW