Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY CR LF

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY CR LF
From: Eric NO3M <no3m@no3m.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 19:00:32 -0400
Tim, et.al.

Thanks for all the information. I signed up on the Greenkeys list and posted an enquiry regarding the issue.

The topic of Non-Overline mods indeed came up in the discussion. Apparently there are mod kits with a handful of parts to accomplish this in a more formal manner, but the SMECC site Tim cited describes a method requiring no additional parts, just swapping code bars in the Stunt box. The former, as described by a list member, seems to modify the CR behavior and leaves the LF unmodified. That seems to be ideal given that sending CRs is prevalent and basically what software decoders appear to be doing anyways (with both CRs and LFs). Very few LFs were observed in the SCC. The latter (ie. no parts) mod disables any action on receipt of a CR and modifies a LF to be a CR-LF combination. I suppose this is also fine, but the outward effect would be that for the majority of interactions, the printer would just continue along on a line until it reaches the end and does an auto-CRLF (my M28 has that enabled). Hmmm... saving paper?

If I don't find the mod kits parts after a short while, I'll opt to perform the no-parts mod.

Might also keep an eye out for a TU upgrade.

73 Eric NO3M

NNNN