Re: [CQ-Contest] Greene Co (OH) isn't very green

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Greene Co (OH) isn't very green
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 13:47:46 -0400

Barry,

Maybe consider flying to either Columbus, Ohio (CMH) or Cincinnati (CVG). Both are about a 1 hour and 20 minute drive from the Crowne Plaza.  I flew into CMH last year and my RT fare on Southwest from Atlanta was under $200. It was about $20 per day for a rental car at those airports.

I kind of keep track of the fares since I have family that lives between Cincinnati and Dayton and occasionally fly up to Ohio. The fares to Dayton have gone up quite a bit since Southwest pulled out.  When Airtran was still around (before Southwest bought them) I used to be able to fly to Dayton for about $150 RT and sometimes either lower. Now that they are gone my only non-stop choice from Atlanta to Dayton is Delta and the fare is almost double what it used to be.

Cincinnati used to have some of the highest fares in the country but that's changed quite a bit since a bunch of low cost carriers now fly to CVG - Allegient, Frontier and Southwest. Both Frontier and Allegient have hubs in CVG so there are lots of non-stop destinations. Southwest just started flying their this Summer and will probably grow because it's been a huge success in the Cincinnati market. Delta still has a big presence at CVG and those discount airlines are keeping their fares down too. The fares to Columbus are good too because it has many of the same low cost carriers as Cincinnati.

BTW for those of you in EU that might be considering coming to the Hamvention next year a new low cost European airline named WoW will begin flying to Cincinnati on May 10th, 2018. It's non-stop to Keflavik International Airport (KEF) in Iceland with connections throughout Europe.

Jeff KU8E