Re: [CQ-Contest] Is this assistance?

To: "'John Geiger'" <af5cc2@gmail.com>, "'CQ-Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is this assistance?
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 20:07:47 -0400
John,

IMHO, strictly speaking, if you are not using the cluster or other
technology to "assist" you in operating the contest, you are not operating
"assisted".

That said, the specific rules of a given contest may specify that ANY use of
the cluster or related technology puts you in the "assisted/unlimited" type
classification.  Even if you are using it for other purposes.

That said, whether or not you are making a "serious" effort, I would suggest
you err on the side of caution and send in your log in the proper
"assisted/unlimited" category anyway.

Why?  Well, let's say for the sake of discussion you do well enough to merit
consideration for scrutiny... Maybe your score falls in the top 10% or
higher of your category or category & location, maybe you did well enough to
"win" something.  And it gets noticed somehow that you were logged into the
cluster.  Questions would be raised, and as I'm sure you've seen in the
past, some people will reject explanations and assume the worst.
Unfortunate, but sadly true.

So, why look for trouble?  Why risk being on the receiving end of a witch
hunt or a lynch mob?  Err on the side of caution.  If you have the cluster
up for ANY reason, enter as Assisted, Unlimited, or equivalent.  Even if
technically you don't have to.

73, ron w3wn