Re: [CQ-Contest] Alpha 87A Issues

To: Ken Widelitz <kwidelitz@gmail.com>, CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Alpha 87A Issues
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 10:21:15 +0700
Ken,    I had two of those 87a turkeys also.  I bought the equal of another
one in factory returns $$$$ for PIN diodes alone.  The amp has about 5 yrs
in it from brand new and then it goes wild.  "ai revenge"
I gave one away in exchange for tower work* and mistakenly traded other one
to Alfa for another piece of do-do, the 9500 which failed 4 times in first
16mos.  Took a bath and sold that too.

But I had, over yrs, one and then another 76pac which were flawless.

I have and recommend SPE Expert 2K-FA from Italy..... two amps in one box,
read about it and be awed.
73, Charly
*That 87a died an appropriate death in tower-man's shack due to direct
lightning strike.  Hey, insurance, the only way out of those things.

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 6:59 AM, Ken Widelitz <kwidelitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a different strange issue with each of my Alpha 87As that showed up
> this past weekend.
>

> 1.     One amp goes into standby without an error message and won't go into
> the operate position no matter how many times I flip the OPR/STBY button.
> If
> I turn the amp off and wait the longest 3 minutes in ham radio a few times,
> the operate light will come back on and the problem goes away for a few
> hours.
>
> 2.     The other amp gave me intermittent #20 errors, filament current
> greater than 3.5 amps, for the first few hours it was turned on. It never
> did that during the contest.
>

> Any experience with these types of conditions? Suggestions?
>

> 73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT

Charly, HS0ZCW