Re: [CQ-Contest] Alpha 87A Issues

To: "'Martin LU5DX'" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Alpha 87A Issues
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 03:06:23 -0500
Try running the amp without the serial port connected to the computer.

It's conceivable that there's noise on the cable that randomly looks like the
standby command. Be sure to disconnect the cable completely from the amp. I've
had a situation with another amp, an Acom 2000a, where the serial port spewed
garbage to the amp when the control software wasn't running on the PC. Caused
the amp to fault.

Or, it could be an issue with the serial port, cable or even an issue with the
HB9ZS software on the particular version of the operating system on your
computer. I've had a few problems running that software on my Windows 10
system. For example, if the amp faults I can't reset it from the software. Also
had problems with the DF3CB software. I've had the most success with the
original AlphaRemote software. It's very old, and not much for features and
appearance, but it seems to work on all the OS versions for the basic functions
I need like ON/OFF, OPR/STBY and the power, grid and plate current meters.

If the second amp gets another #20 fault, try reseating the tubes. Inspect the
pins and sockets while you're at it. Possible that some debris or oxidation has
made for an intermittent contact. I had a problem like that once with my 87A
after removing a tube.

73, Dick WC1M