Re: [CQ-Contest] Be careful what you wish for

To: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Be careful what you wish for
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 10:40:27 +0700
Jeff, Today's contests are actually two-in-one:  one for the obvious
frequent "winners" and the other for the rest of us.  I am not complaining
because I think anyone who builds a super station, in a good locale, with
skilled runners, deserves a big score off the duffers....... BUT without
the duffers, super's work the other ten and go sleep otherwise.

Across all contests, the second tier of operators are in second class.
Magazines that call out the "winners" can reprint the same list each year.
I want awards for the most efficient in time and locations, the most
accurate without a computer fill-in function, the most improved, distance
scoring, AND consideration of ALL of Asia from Turkey to Philippines as one
block is finally declared silly.

An SOSR for over age 75 trophy, too.

Oh well,  73, Charly HS0ZCW

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com> wrote:

> I love CW contests with a passion but I might consider not doing CW SS FT
> anymore.  I took just about all my off time in one stretch starting at 0800
> Z so I could get a decent nights sleep because I dreading operating
> (BORING) on Sunday. The only thing that kept me going was that I needed
> about 5 multipliers for a sweep. Watching football when operating also
> helped me get thru it ! If it wasn't for those things I might have quit
> early.
>
> Maybe it's the right time to think about a rules change because it isn't
> going to get better anytime soon. The declining sunspots will make
> participation decrease even more than it has.  I'm still fairly young in my
> 50's and I'm afraid in 10 years there won't be anyone to work in a CW
> contests.  Lots of checks in the 1950's and 1960's. Not as many in the
> 1970's when I was licensed. Very few above the 1990's and 2000 +.
>
>  I know it's been discussed before but maybe it's time to allow a QSO with
> the same station on multiple bands. It would at least make SS more fun.
> Before anyone argues this wouldn't be fair consider pretty much the same
> people win every year because they have a good station/antennas and are
> SO2R experts. Plus most have a geographical advantage as well. I will admit
> I have it a lot better in Georgia then I did in Ohio. But not as good as
> those on the west coast. How else could I make almost make 400 QSO's on 20
> meters using a dipole at 40 feet? Plus when 40 meters goes long it's good
> for me too because the guys north of me can't work each other. That gives
> me somewhat of a captive audience. On the other hand 80 meters isn't as
> good for me as it was in Ohio. Always get beat out when a station further
> away is called by someone closer to them. So no matter the advantage you
> might enjoy it might be offset by someone else's on another band.
>
> I also wish they would make SO2R a separate category because it gives
> someone an advantage similar to SOA.
>
> Jeff KU8E

Charly, HS0ZCW