Re: [CQ-Contest] Interesting Youth In Ham Radio

To: sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Interesting Youth In Ham Radio
From: Ria Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 14:17:21 +0000
People get into amateur radio for all kinds of reasons. A classic case is
ARRL staffers who pretty much have to get a license. Some of them start out
unlicensed and figure they are working at a non profit as a job. I don’t
know if it’s compulsory but from what I understand it is strongly
encouraged. Then they end up growing with the hobby and they get involved
in many things, including radiosport.

In fact I think the people who become licensed specifically to contest are
rather small. Instead, most who get into contesting may have stumbled into
one on air and figured, “why not.” Eventually “giving out points” or
“chasing DX” becomes more and more of a thing. Some then decide that they
will do more serious efforts. Some join multioperator teams, some build
their own stations or get on someone else’s and compete.

So you have to take a chance with everyone. The worst that can happen is
they become disinterested and leave the hobby. That’s not a problem. But
many times if they are welcomed they will grow with us. But it won’t happen
unless we give them the chance.

Also go back to the casual “giving out points” folks. One of the most
memorable contest encouragement experiences - I worked one station during
the Canada day contest. I told him I’m “not in the contest” (I’m sure many
have heard that same thing). Then he explained the exchange and said,”work
a few more stations, ok?” And I did. Then I became more curious about it.
Because I could work stations during the contest. Then I began getting more
and more deeply involved.

I started ham radio as an outlet for creativity and my obsession with
electronics, taking apart and building things. I never saw myself as a
contester. However I did see the big towers of 9Y4H and I asked my Elmer
what those are for, why do people need such big antennas? He showed me the
contest articles in the magazine. He said these were the “olympics of ham
radio.” I saw 9Y4H (operated by K6NA) and also 9Y4VU who is now SK. But had
I not asked nor been introduced it would have been a big mystery to me.

As contesters if we want people to join our niche, then we should welcome
them into it, or at the very least let them know it’s there. I don’t judge
shack on the hip hams because I know they got this far - passing the exams
to get a license and getting on the air in some fashion.

If we keep it to ourselves it will die off. I try to introduce new hams and
old hams to contesting, even if it’s just to get points for others. It’s
nice to tune down the band and work big signals wall to wall.

73
Ria, N2RJ