Re: [CQ-Contest] Solid State Amps in Multi-Multi Stations?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Solid State Amps in Multi-Multi Stations?
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 07:35:24 -0500
Interesting post, Tom. From the youtube videos that I saw a year or so ago
I thought that LDMOS were nearly indestructible. Transmitting into no
antenna, a broken antenna or a wrong antenna will eventually occur so
obviously commercial amps will need some very good protection methods. I
recall making antenna selection mistakes years ago with older design tube
amp with no protection and it did not miss a beat.

For expeditions, especially with the newer airline luggage fees, solid
state amps are ideal. I will probably eventually purchase the Elecraft
KPA-1500 to match my K3S. For a home station where weight and size are not
an issue, legal limit tube amps are much less money and perform quite
well. I hope that tubes remain available for those using them.

John KK9A