Re: [CQ-Contest] Certificates for ARRL DX - a great motivator for new co

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Certificates for ARRL DX - a great motivator for new contesters
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 21:18:22 -0400
I agree on the Cabrillo certificate option, CQ did a good job with this. In
ARRL contests, sometimes I receive a plaque and a certificate for the same
contest in separate mailings.

John KK9A

Jim Stahl jimk8mr wrote

Printed certificates do matter to experienced contesters; they are a waste
of the ARRL's money. I'd rather have that money go to something more useful
like spectrum defense or RFI mitigation, than spending over a dollar to send
me a certificate saying I was the top low power all band section award
winner in a VHF contest. (I think they even send those certificates to those
who merely had the high score on a single band.)

ARRL ought to adopt support of the Cabrillo "CERTIFICATES: NO" tag.  I've
suggested this to my division director, who seemed receptive. But apparently
at the last Board meeting there was too much other stuff going on.

73  -  Jim   K8MR