Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL SS SSB

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL SS SSB
From: Frank NF8M <nf8m@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 11:47:53 -0700 (PDT)
Joe <nss@mwt.net> wrote:

Everything is in the single digits till 1958/59 What happened then? WOW!
and then in 1980 it fell apart again.

what changed on those dates?

1957-58 was the International Geophysical Year, which brought a huge worldwide emphasis on science and technology. Sputnik and Explorer were launched into orbit, the space race was heating up and it was the original "Science Citizen" initiative. I think this led to a big increase in interest in amateur radio, which was of course helped by the record solar cycle that year. The first baby boomers were starting to come of an age where interest in technology and radio would lead them to study and become licensed.

I suspect the dropoff at the end of the 70s could be due to the license restructuring that took place in 1977, along with the CB craze that flourished in the late 70s which perhaps drained away the more casual communicators from our ranks.

Frank Maynard, NF8M                                        nf8m@arrl.net
- - - - - - - - - - Fifty years of ham radio 1968-2018 - - - - - - - - -