Re: [CQ-Contest] Certificates

To: Dennis Younker NE6I <NE6I@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Certificates
From: "rjairam@gmail.com" <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 13:02:22 +0000
Youth is one set but sometimes new contesters come from an older set of
hams, in their 30s, 40s and 50s (maybe even beyond). From my informal
observation of the certificate recipients many are happy that an unexpected
reward from a contest they participated came to them, unsolicited.

The idea is the unexpected - and this will often motivate more “serious”
efforts and thus more participation. Maybe even encourage their friends.

Separate from this - one thing I did with NAQP was encourage a group of YLs
that we normally have a net with to form a team. This boosted morale as you
can be part of something that does well. We repeated again for the NA
sprint. Feedback has been positive. Some of them have received awards in
the ARRL contests for their sections also. Now many are looking forward to
the next contest even though they have little chance at any big awards.

This is not a one size fits all approach but it seems to work. I do know
when I joined a contest club (FRC) I began to participate more. This is
because collectively we have a chance to win but you also learn
individually how to succeed. I’ve learned tons from seasoned contest
veterans like W2GD and K3WW.

73
Ria, N2RJ