Re: [CQ-Contest] 4O3A Station rebui

To: "Rich Assarabowski" <konecc@snet.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 4O3A Station rebui
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 10:27:29 -0400
Modeling of proposed specific antennas and stacking combinations is always the
place to start – and then modeling those configurations over your specific
terrain is ESSENTIAL from a hilltop location.

I have literally spent weeks of time modeling every conceivable direction,
height and wave angle from my complex terrain to get the best overall set of
antenna heights/stacking combos to cover the the world and it has been worth
every hour spent!  A hilltop location like 403A often requires compromises in
height/stacking combinations in order to get the overall best combination for
the areas of the world and contests that will be worked and that bands that
they will be worked on as well as what part of the sunspot cycle they will be
worked.  A non-US station that is optimized for CQWW will not perform as well
in ARRLDX as a station that is optimized for ARRLDX and vice-versa   And every
station builder should take this into account.

What is often NOT considered though, is exactly HOW complex topographical
locations (like my qth) antennas/stacking combinations model very differently
than the same antennas/stacking combinations over flat ground.

At my qth on 10, a 37’ 5L Yagi is almost as good on the long haul path to
Japan/Pacific as the top 10 at 100’ which allows me to use the 37’ to find and
work Pacific mults while keeping the top antenna elsewhere.  Yet the 109’ 5 L
15 is far better to short haul SA/Carib than the 90’, the 60’ or even a stack
of them!  Modeling helps you to see counterintuitive advantages/disadvantages
like this in advance and then plan for them.

Some antennas/stacking combos over complex terrains will also provide very
counter-intuitive and interesting lobes that may appear/disappear in certain
directions because of uneven terrain .  For instance, my 109’ top 5 L 15 meter
yagi has a high angle lobe that is very useful toward EU (over flat ground) but
that high angle lobe disappears to the West where it looks down a steep hill.
On 10 meters, the 5L Yagi @ 65’ to SA/Carib is literally in a NULL and
essentially worthless, but is excellent for Northern EU/UA0 and stateside off
the BACK of the antenna!  The BEST antenna though for the West coast on 10 is
actually the 5L yagi at 23’ pointed Northeast (NOT West)!  Again, it is at the
perfect wave angle over complex terrain to the West even though the lowest
antenna is pointed in the WRONG direction!  I am also pretty sure that sporadic
E clouds off the coast of Europe may have something to do with this.

I believe that most hilltop qth’s with complex topography will have unique
counter-intuitive advantages/disadvantages similar in nature to what I have
discovered.  And for every hour spent modeling them in advance, it will
probably save 10 – 20 hours of putting antennas up, moving them around, or
taking then down and reinstalling them at different heights later.

Just some thoughts from having yagis at my qth for the past 20 years and going
through the initial build and then two vicious thunderstorm storm caused
rebuilds each time with signal improvements thanks to modeling!

I owe most of this to the K6STI DOS based suite of programs, which I STILL use
on a DOS computer saved for this purpose.  THANK YOU BRIAN!

GL Ranko!

73

Bob  KQ2M