[CQ-Contest] Best radio for SSB

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Best radio for SSB
From: Bill kollenbaum via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 07:38:01 +0000 (UTC)
I get tons of unsolicited great audio reports.  I use and have used Elecraft
K-3s for years.   You can shape the audio to fit your voice and mic with eight
channels.  One piece of advice if your radio comes with a factory mic, either
sell it at a hamfest or throw it away.  The Heil headset with the HC4 cartridge
is what I use.  My old headset fell apart and all I could get was one with the
"6" cartridge.  I took out the new Heil 6 and replaced it with the Heil 4 from
the old  set.  Problem solved.
In any case, when you get your new radio I suggest you run it with a couple of
watts into a dummy load, use your old radio to listen as you adjust the audio
on the new rig to make it sound like your favorite contest station's audio.
Don't rely on anyone else's settings as your voice is different than their's.
You might use them as suggestions for a starting point though.
Good luck finding the perfect radio.
73  Bill KH7XS/K4XS