Re: [CQ-Contest] Online Scoreboards

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Online Scoreboards
From: MARK BAILEY <kd4d@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 10:58:02 -0500 (EST)
Hi Juan:

I strongly disagree.  I believe that Radiosport should retain Single Operator
categories where the game is not played on the air and not on partially on the
internet.  Requiring an internet connection is not is not in that spirit -
neither is having access to scoring information from other stations that does
not come over the radio.

When operating in Single Operator categories, I don't have internet connections
active.  The computer logging networks I use are not connected to the internet
at all, ever (this eliminates problems with updates and anti-virus false
positives).  When using spots for multi-ops (or WAE), I use a separate computer
to connect to the internet on a different network for spotting.

The good news (!) is that there is room for Single Operator categories without
any interference with the "connected" Assisted and Multi-operator categories.
When you work me in a contest, you aren't usually even aware of whether I'm
Single Operator or not (Sweepstakes being the exception due to the precedence).

BTW, the WRTC competition did connect the competitors to an on-line scoreboard,
but competitors had no access to the information.  The WRTC organizers provided
the connection and carefully controlled it.  The competitors were prohibited by
the rules from looking at the scoreboard (or having any other internet
information).  Cell phones were taken for the contest period!

73,

Mark, KD4D

  First, during WRTC, the competitors did not have access to the on-line
scoreboard information during the contest.