Re: [CQ-Contest] Pileups and calling freqs

To: <cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Pileups and calling freqs
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 14:10:08 -0500
I often pull out a callsign or part of a callsign by discerning the difference
in the “beats” between loud guys calling on exactly the same frequency - the
ever-present qsb makes that possible.  And there are usually differences in
speed of the callers.  This technique works best when at least one station of
the same signal strength is calling at a QRQ speed.   Of course now that it has
become routine for at least one EU station to endlessly call regardless of who
I ask for, the technique has become less effective, but still it is valuable.

I always prefer to listen at the edges of a pileup, it’s become second nature
for me.  The smarter ops routinely call that way knowing that the better ops
usually listen on either side of their transmit freq.   And the qrp guys
usually beat out the other loud stations because they are not trying to fight
with the “big guys”, but rather, just to be heard.  So they use strategy as to
how, when and where to call.  In my pileups (like this weekend), you either
have to be really loud, super fast or a bit off freq. to get right through.  It
is easiest to be off freq.   :-)   This works even better if you have polar
flutter on your signal as a GOOD op will notice that THIS caller sounds
different and that usually either means ground wave or a polar path signal.
Polar path always gets my attention as it usually means an interesting DX
station, and frequently a new mult.

73

Bob, KQ2M