Re: [CQ-Contest] WSJT-X and contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WSJT-X and contesting
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 10:49:20 -0800
On 12/3/2018 12:09 PM, John Geiger wrote:
I would be just fine if the RTTY roundup only used RTTY, though.

Why? I've operated a lot of FT8 and other WSJT modes, mostly on 6M, but so far, I've not gotten bitten by the FT8 contesting bug. But it says a lot about the possibilities for having fun with it that top ops like K6LL and W0YK are having fun with it!

Do those objecting feel threatened by something unknown to them?
Concerned that hoards of the unwashed will wipe out large parts of spectrum?

From where I sit, it seems that those objecting to FT8 being added to RTTY RU can't see the forest for the trees! Has it never entered their minds that this could bring more hams into contesting, and that they might get interesting in other contests? Maybe operating RTTY? SSB? Even learning CW?

I operate a lot of RTTY contests, and it seems to me that anyone operating RTTY is just as "assisted" as someone using a CW reader.

73, Jim K9YC