Re: [CQ-Contest] WSJT-X and contesting

To: "'Radio K0HB'" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WSJT-X and contesting
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 18:25:44 -0500
I agree.  However, I do believe ARRL made one fundamental flaw in their
adoption of FT8.  Because FT8 can decode multiple signals at one time, anyone
who uses FT8 must enter the Assisted category.  I think it is safe to assume
the CAC was not involved in this decision.

I would have probably gone the other way.  All entries are allowed to use
assistance whether they use RTTY, FT8, or MFQPXW345.  Once the computer is
doing the decoding, why distinguish between assisted or not.

FT8 will be an interesting contesting mode.  It is error free so no busted
calls.  But, it is subject to QRM and operator competence.

Randy, K5ZD