Re: [CQ-Contest] WSJT-X and Contesting

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WSJT-X and Contesting
From: Stanley Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 13:16:32 -0500
I hear so many complaints about FT8 being automated. How about this scenario in
another mode?
- I see a post on a DXcluster
- When I click on it, the callsign is automatically entered into my software.
- Using rig control, my radio is automatically tuned to the station.
- I press a key (or click on a macro) and my callsign is sent.
- I press another key and my response is sent.
- the contact is automatically entered into my log.

I operated a complete 24-hour contest once without ever touching the tuning
knob or any other radio controls. Rig control and the cluster even the handled
band changes. The  entire contest only required a repeated series of four
clicks or key presses. Automatic! Very assisted.

BTW, RTTY doesn’t have to involve seeing only one station as you tune. I have a
SDR rig and can see the entire RTTY band all at once and can tune to a station
with one mouse click. Should I be operating assisted? I don’t. I operate run or
S&P unassisted.

And I suppose the gentleman who said that someone should holler “stop” thought
that same thing when SSB came out replacing AM.

This is 2018, almost 2019, folks. It’s called “growth.” Get on board or be left
behind.

Stan, K4SBZ

"Real radio bounces off the sky."