[CQ-Contest] Remote Ops. WAS: Contesters review: new FT8, WSJT 2.0.0.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Remote Ops. WAS: Contesters review: new FT8, WSJT 2.0.0.
From: DXer <hfdxmonitor@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 18:05:14 -0500
I want to apologize in advance to those that will feel "betrayed" by the fact that this message is not about a new FT8 robot, so nothing for them to be indignant about.

But wait, all is not lost...inhale, and start screaming: "FT8 remote", "it's baaaad", "not ham radio", "the end of the hobby as Hiram Percy Maxim devised", etc... LOL

I'm operating FT8 remotely. Not over long distances using the internet, just within my home network, but it can be used over long distances if wanted.

The onset of winter is limiting its use, but it was nice to be able to operate from the backyard, while enjoying the sun and a cold beer. Now I just stay where the other family members are, instead of isolated in the radio room.

Setup is surprisingly simple. The main issue actually was finding remote access software with as small a latency as possible. Free was another criteria...hams are cheap after all.

After trying a number of different packages, I settled on Lite Manager:

http://www.litemanager.com

Install the server on the shack PC. The client can be installed on Windows, Android, Mac, IOS/iPhone.

I have not tried it with RTTY, PSK31, or any other digital mode, but it should work as well.

Give it a try, you may like it.

73 de Vince, VA3VF