Re: [CQ-Contest] Rules for WRTC...oops

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rules for WRTC...oops
From: sbloom@acsalaska.net
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 18:26:58 -0500

&nbsp;
To be serious for a second ..&nbsp; I'm pretty much of the "It's up to the
organizers" school.&nbsp; I still *think* the idea is to have fun in the
contests themselves.&nbsp; Easy for me to say I guess, I've never competed in
WRTC and would like to do it at least once (though will be difficult to manage
from KL7).&nbsp; Having said that ..

1)&nbsp; WRTC is "next level" but the idea of treating all the qualifying
contests as just the means to get in seems out of balance to me.&nbsp; Don't
most of us who are serious about contesting try to do as well as we can in each
contest for it's own sake?&nbsp; I can see strategizing to a point ("Is this
one of the contests I should do from out of area?, "Assisted or Non?"), but not
at the expense of fun.&nbsp; I know for me, my "mission" for KL7RA is being the
best on premises multi operator contest station possible in Zone 1/AK.&nbsp; I
wouldn't let WRTC seriously change that.&nbsp;

2)&nbsp; In terms of the rules themselves, again, for the most part "It's up to
the organizers" but, the one thing that does piss me off is seeing rule changes
due to suspected cheating.&nbsp; If the organizers believe that HP results
somehow reflect contesting ability moreso than LP, so be it.&nbsp; If it is
because they suspect a lot of the LP guys are actually running HP, that's
wrong.&nbsp; Bottom line, you don't penalize folks who do things the right way,
due to others who don't.&nbsp; Getting better at catching cheaters, is the only
solution.&nbsp; Which leads to

3)&nbsp; Other than qualifying contest DQs, I'm not sure why there should be
rules that make it harder for honest, competitive contesters to qualify.&nbsp;
I get the idea for "New Blood" but I'm not aware of any other competition, in
any arena, that has a periodic qualifying track, that works like this.&nbsp; I
can't imagine say, the Olympics (every four years, new qualifier each time)
setting limits like that.&nbsp; The "proof of residence" thing similar.&nbsp;
If someone is a regular user say of one of RHR's stations, he/she is competing
against other stations in *that* region.&nbsp; If you've been to WRTC three
times, and finished say ...14th, 10th, and 12th..you are one of the best
contesters in the world.&nbsp; How is competition any "fairer" if you can't
compete.&nbsp; There are other ways to get new blood ("Rookie Class?")

Finally, and most important

4)&nbsp; None of this nonsense gets to the real problems with KL9A and
N6MJ.&nbsp; There is still neither a "Mutant" class, or a DQ rule for being of
another species!

73
Steve KL7SB/Not VP9