Re: [CQ-Contest] Serial # contests, speed?

To: <jimk8mr@aol.com>, <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Serial # contests, speed?
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 00:18:04 -0400
What is fun is when a super op type calls you and you KNOW that you can speed
up and send it to him at 60 wpm and he will get it the first time and
vice-versa if I  I call him/her.  Get’s the blood pumping a little faster and
puts a smile on my face (and hopefully theirs).    :-)    And there are some
slow sending ops that can copy qrq easily – but just can’t send fast – and your
turning up the speed to send to them is like a knowing handshake saluting their
copying skill – “Hey I know who you  are – you’re a really good op so I am
going to send fast to you!”.

It also gets the attention of the pileup – makes them listen and wonder what is
going on.  If they are listening then they are not transmitting which means
that when the weak guy calls you will copy him and work him.  Sometimes that
weak guy is a polar path mult that you would never have heard if/when everyone
was calling at once!

It pays to slow down if cndx are disturbed and the signals start to sound
auroral and/or of have significant flutter (like the W1 path to JA) – if you
are sending fast you will be harder to understand and callers may pass you by.

73

Bob  KQ2M