Re: [CQ-Contest] sunspot cycle

To: robert <wa1fcn@charter.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] sunspot cycle
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 08:05:41 -0500
Thing is about FT-8,,

As someone who has played with it a LOT. 1000's of contacts. And have tried in a few contests too. And I can see only two ways it will ever be a "Contest Mode"

1- When the conditions are sooo extremely bad that CW & SSB are just not cutting it.

2- When you have it set up to run 100% automatically on it's own. (not really legal if left un attended) The 100% automated is easy to do. And I have actually done it just to see how hard it would be and if it would handle the task. I sat and watched it run the freq. I never left it alone so would be legal. It ran flawlessly and made over a hundred contacts all by itself.

BUT.... if the band is open then it is incredibly SLOW!!!!!!! I can make ten times the contacts in CW or SSB in the time FT-8 takes to make one and thats if all exchanges were copied with one try. And staying with digital RTTY would be similar effect probably close to ten times the contacts.

FT-8 is far from a Contest mode. Just toooo slow.

Joe WB9SBD
Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme