Re: [CQ-Contest] Where did "Reflector" come from?

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Where did "Reflector" come from?
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 13:36:17 +0000
I remember "reflector" from my BBS days in the early/mid 1980's.

I also remember that when I got to the internet in 1990, there was a technical
distinction between "reflector" and ("mailing list"/"LISTSERV").   Reflectors
were "dumb" ways to direct email to a manually maintained list of addressees;
anything sent to the reflector list, including error messages, would go to
everyone on the list.

Mailing lists were smarter things, where a program would be used to maintain
the distribution list; eventually people could add or remove themselves by
sending a message to administrative addresses associated with specific lists;
and the program would attempt to filter out error messages (or offer an
administrator the power to moderate the list) to avoid unwanted traffic (a
concern at 300/1200/2400 bps dial-up speeds).  LISTSERV was probably the first
(or at least the first to be widely used) mailing list software, followed later
by Majordomo and Mailman.

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org