Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R interference help update

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R interference help update
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 17:05:56 -0500
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the many CWT QSOs.

If you are willing to download a 53MB PowerPoint file, take a look at the brief MP4 movies on page 17 of the slide show at the link below. It demonstrates what I've heard W3LPL call "swamping". In my case, it's a circuit which contains some kind of junction which makes a mess on 20 when transmitting on 40. I still have not been able to identify the root cause. I just shut off the breaker when operating SO2R. The mp4 files show how killing the breaker reduced the QRM from S9+ to S0. In the videos, I am transmitting on 40 meters while receiving on 20 meters.

During a recent multi op here (WPX CW) our team discovered that a seal-a-meal kitchen appliance was doing the same thing. It's on a different circuit, and not related to the above swamping issue. The real kicker was that it only caused QRM if used within the previous hour! Something to do with the thermal sealing element, we suspect. The point is that it can be ANYTHING. You'll probably have to start at the breaker box. SO2R troubleshooting is a bit more complicated since you must have a receiver and a transmitter running simultaneously to troubleshoot.

http://www.k4ro.net/k4ro/Single-Op-W4DXCC-2016/Single-Op.ppt

Good luck with your hunting.

73, --Kirk