[CQ-Contest] Hornet Nest on the End of the Boom - How do you safely get

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Hornet Nest on the End of the Boom - How do you safely get rid of this? EPILOGUE
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 15:49:49 -0400
Before engaging a nest of any type, I always plan an escape route and practice
it just in case.  After carefully evaluating the path to the nest – 17’ above
my head, on jagged ledge with tree stumps, brush and thorns to be safely
navigated, IN THE DARK, I realized that my quest was far riskier that I
initially thought.  I decided to read online reviews of local exterminators to
see if any might be worthwhile to call.  I found an excellent small company one
town away and I called them to set up an appointment.  He came out that
afternoon at the time that I requested and used Drione “dust” on the nest –
three applications, which was a bit tricky as the extension on his wand barely
reached the nest, but he hooked it on the third application and pumped a load
of it in.  The bald faced hornets did not like the dust of the intrusion, but
in a fascinating difference from other types of wasps, they swarmed but did not
“track” him or fly at him, of course they have notoriously poor vision and he
was 17’ below them.  So aside from the dust that fell on him, he was safe from
them, unlike the Yellow Jackets that he warned me about – he said that Yellow
Jackets TRACK you and DON’T stop attacking you.

He explained the best strategies for yellow jackets vs. carpenter bees vs.
hornets vs. bald-faced hornets (the ones that I had).  Took him 20 minutes for
which he charged me $150 plus tax, and I didn’t have to get the dust on me like
he did or have dead hornets fall on me.

The next day they were all dead.

I’m so glad that I called and got an excellent exterminator.  What a great
decision!

For those of you who are bigger risk takers or have less challenging terrain,
here is some info that might be helpful:

https://www.environmentalscience.bayer.us/pest-management-and-public-health/business-assurance/products/drione-dust

73 and GL!

Bob  KQ2M