[CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem
From: <contesting@w2irt.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 18:10:51 -0500
Hi all,
Something I read on the CQ site has been gnawing at me since the 160 CW
contest last weekend. Per the rules, remote RX is allowed in certain
Assisted categories for contest QSOs under contest rule III.

III. CATEGORIES:
The use of one and only one remote receiver located within 100 kilometers of
the main transmitter site is permitted

While that's all fine and dandy, and I think it's quite a fair rule, it
absolutely goes against DXCC Rule 9C, which reads:
9.  Station Location and Boundary:

.
b) All transmitters and receivers comprising a station used for a specific
contact must be located within a 500-meter diameter circle.

My reading of these two rules is pretty clear that remote-receive QSOs,
which ARE valid for the contest, cannot qualify as DXCC-valid contacts.
Enforcement is another matter, of course, but it's an issue that I think
needs to be looked into at some point. I'm a big proponent of allowing
remote receivers within a reasonable distance of the transmitter location
(100 miles is fair in my opinion), and quite frankly I wish DXCC would allow
remote-RX QSOs to count for awards. But as the current rule is written I
don't see how these Qs can count toward any of the ARRL 160m awards.

Is my interpretation wrong?

GO FRC!
Peter, W2IRT

www.facebook.com/W2IRT