Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem

To: "'Yuri'" <ve3dz@rigexpert.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem
From: <contesting@w2irt.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 01:04:27 -0500
I don't mind the fact that SO(A) contacts made with remote receivers in the
prescribed 100 mile range are valid Qs in the contest, nor do I mind that the
ARRL prohibits remote-RX QSOs from participating in the DXCC program. Both
rules, although contradictory, serve legitimate ends to their respective
programs.

But the problem is there will be thousands of perfectly legal QSOs claimed for
credit that do not happen to be valid for DXCC, but will be credited without
question because they'll match on LoTW or QSLs will be exchanged.

As a Topband lover, 160m DXCC holder, and Honor Roll member I am compelled to
speak up about this. I would dearly *love* to operate a remote RX station for
chasing DX on Topband. My totals would easily be over 225 if I could (I'm at
193 now), but like a dummy, I insist on playing by both the spirit and letter
of the regulations and I choose to disadvantage myself by operating using my
local antennas only, and I don't currently have access to a TX/RX 160m site
from which to operate and still be within the rules.

The obvious change would be for the ARRL to allow remote-RX operations (within
a defined circle from the TX site) to count for DXCC credit, and I will urge
the League to consider a rule change to that effect in the future.

While it would be *nice* if contest rules were in sync between CQ and ARRL
events, it's not necessarily required that they have to be. But in this case
we're not talking about a purely radiosport issue, but rather a significant
departure from the long established rules of the world's most recognized DXing
award program.

To me this is akin to allowing certain rules violations to get pass at WRTC.

Now I would like to think that the gentlemen and ladies who pride themselves as
Topband operators possess integrity enough to not submit such QSOs for credit
when they work a new one on 160 but I who am I kidding. I'll certainly do my
part.

Will all of you make the same pledge?

GO FRC!
Peter, W2IRT