Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem

To: "'Paul O'Kane'" <pokane@ei5di.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem
From: <contesting@w2irt.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 20:57:29 -0500
I don't personally like that rule, and if I ever got into operating with
remotes I would surely not engage in that sort of behavior, but would rather
stick with one single site and abide by its propagation limits. But with
that said, I don't disagree with remote receive-only connection, and I think
it's fair if you're limited to 100km or even 100 miles.

It's foolish to me for the DXCC program to allow a 160m contact from me to
Japan, made from my chair in New Jersey via a remote in California, where
both the transmitter and receiver are located at the same W6 location but
where I'm in broad daylight at 9am -- but NOT allow a contact made from that
same desk in New Jersey to England at 11pm my time, when we're both under
the path of darkness, but I'm transmitting from my back yard and receiving
via a friend's remote receiver two towns over. ESPECIALLY if I'm in a
contest where that operation is specifically allowed and encouraged.

Newington has opened the door to accepting remote operation for DXCC credit,
and my original opposition to it has been dispelled to a degree, but I
vehemently disagree with propagation shopping being allowed but receive-only
not. So either they need to change the rule or operators will have to
self-censor and not submit their remote-RX QSOs for credit.

In my case I simply don't have access to a remote so it's moot. But if I did
then there's no way I would pad my stats if it's not allowed. I have to look
at myself in the mirror when I shave.

GO FRC!
Peter, W2IRT

www.facebook.com/W2IRT