Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 12:51:54 -0800
On 2/3/2020 11:58 AM, Edward Sawyer wrote:
The fundamental problem is the slippery downward slope of rules in contest
(allowing a remote receiver is a bad idea in my opinion - completely trashes
decades of engineering and best practice in the contest) and the insanity of
remote operating from the 4 corners of the continent in the US and being able
to count it all for DXCC on 160M.

This thinking ignores the fact that the richest among us can afford to purchase land and build a station where we have no neighbors, while the vast majority of hams (I'd guess >99%) cannot. There's nothing unethical or unfair about an op with his/her station surrounded by hundreds of noise sources having a remote receiver in quiet location within a reasonable distance.

I admire VE6WZ's engineering achievement in building his remote superstation on property he bought on the prairie 50 miles or so north of his home in Calgary. But few hams have the resources to even buy the land, let alone build the station.

>   Hardly, they just moved the goal posts for you.  Feel good?

Yes, the goalposts have been moved, but not in the direction you're suggesting. Noise levels where most of us live have increased greatly over the last decade or so. When I moved to NorCal in 2006, I was able to hear and work EU stations on CW during the solar minimum, and they could hear me. From 2014 to 2020, with BETTER antennas, I've COPIED a grand total of six EU CW signals, and been able to work only two of them. And although I own 8.5 acres, I have five homes with noise sources within 200-500 ft of my antennas! With the 10 dB noise rejection advantage of FT8 over CW, I've made dozens of QSOs to EU the past two seasons, adding more than a dozen countries on that band, bringing my total confirmed to 172.

73, Jim K9YC