Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 10:48:25 -0400
Contests from various sponsors, (CQ, ARRL, NCJ,  RAC, DARC, RDXC etc) and
Awards from the ARRL/CQ are 2 different kettles of fish.

You know who really cares what plaques you have on your wall?  You!

I admit it?.I so was naïve?.When I wised up in the late 80?s/early 90?s and
the light bulb came on that more than a few people were ?cheating? to get
ARRL awards I decided right then and there that I would not apply for them.
Fellas using their buddies callsigns to work DXpeditons when the real guy
was at work used to be a ?thing? (maybe it still is _ I dunno)

One of the turning points for me at least was a K7 from way up in the PNW,
logging into a New England ham station (via telephone? dialup internet?)
back in the early 1990?s and working EU giving out his CN87 (or whatever)
gridsquare as if that?s where he was.  Of course, today it?s ?legal? to do
so (giving a false grid probably isn?t), but it waters down the worth of any
awards anyone else would chase.

You know who has to know it was done right (or done to your own
satisfaction) ?? You!

I have all the biggies (*unofficial) 2m/6m VUCC, 6m & HF WAS, 6m & HF WAC,
10BDXCC, 7B mobile DXCC, worked them all except I think North Korea, I think
I was 3rd or 4th in Canada to get 6m DXCC and you know what?  I haven?t
applied for a single one.  Took me 22 or something years to work Japan on
6m.  That QSL is gold to me.  My one and only.  I could?ve done it dozens of
times if I had logged into any West Coast remote. I keep track of the real
accomplishments here in my shack.

You can?t control others.  How many times has a EU called me 4-5 hours after
sunrise in EU when I was working West Coast and the Pacific on 160m (and
nearly sunrise here) and they were 5NN+?

There?s only that face that looks back to you in the mirror in the morning
that really matters (and maybe if your immediate family is
invested/interested in your accomplishments).

Sad, but true.

Mike VE9AA   NB, FN66

Keswick Ridge, NB