[CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem
From: Mark <markzl3ab@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 14:39:12 +1300
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 00:09:05 -0500
From: <contesting@w2irt.net>
To: <rjairam@gmail.com>
Cc: "'Paul O'Kane'" <pokane@ei5di.com>, "'CQ-Contest Reflector'"
        <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160m contest-vs-DXCC rule problem
<snip>
Perhaps the League should have a check box in the LoTW interface for 160m
submissions where you agree that no remote rx-only technology was employed,
or add fields in Cabrillo and ADIF that allow the contest op to state if
that technology was used, and if so, those Qs would not be uploaded
automatically to LoTW. Not a perfect solution, but a way to keep honest ops
honest, at least?
</snip>

There is a distinction between uploading a qso to LOTW and claiming a
credit for a DXCC award.

If I work you using a remote receiver and you use a transmitter and
receiver at home then you can claim the qso for dxcc. To do that you either
need me to upload the qso to LOTW to get a match or my QSL card (and
chances are you will also be none the wiser that I used a remote).

What I need to do is keep a record of remote receiver qsos so I don't claim
them; a checkbox in LOTW would be useful for this.

Yes a less than honest op could claim their remote receiver qso as well but
honesty in claiming DXCC has been relied on long before now, so nothing has
changed in that regard (except perhaps now remotes open up a new way of
cheating).

By the way LOTW is used for WAZ as well and it has "remote station
technology" categories. I assume when claiming LOTW credits one has to
declare you used remote technology?

Also it is not entirely clear to me but does this definition include remote
receivers and remote stations?

For the record I think DXCC's rules allowing remote stations but not remote
receivers is nonsensical. They could easily introduce separate categories
for this as CQ has done with WAZ to encourage participation from those who
are noise challenged.

73
Mark ZL3AB